What are Wireless Accessories?
Wireless accessories, inform you of changes in your home by way of sensors, and let you control the state of your household appliances remotely. Piper also lets you set an automation schedule or turn your appliances on or off based on temperature or ambient light levels in your home.
What is Z-Wave?
Similar to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, Z-Wave is a form of wireless communication used in home automation devices. Piper uses Z-Wave to talk to various wireless accessories.
Purchasing Wireless Accessories
To view a list of accessories that Piper currently supports, visit our website at getpiper.com. Wireless accessories that are compatible with Piper may be found on our website under Support. Wireless accessories are available for purchase directly through our online store at store.getpiper.com. You can also open the mobile version of our online store from the Piper app. This can be accessed under Settings > Wireless Accessories. Tapping ‘Shop’ on this screen takes you to our store on your mobile device.
Wireless accessories can also be purchased through the retailer and in select electronic stores.
Note: Piper is compatible with most On/Off (Open/Close) wireless accessories with Z-Wave technology designed for your region.
Piper continues to expand the range of home automation accessories it supports. You can stay informed by signing up for updates online at getpiper.com/contact-us.
Adding Wireless Accessories
Adding wireless accessories is done by "inclusion" process, informing the Z-Wave enabled wireless accessory in question to be included to your Piper system at home. To add a wireless accessories to Piper, follow these steps:
- Open the App Menu and go to Settings > Wireless Accessories.
- Select “Add.”
- Tap “Start.”
- Wait for the prompt before pressing the button on the wireless accessory you wish to add.
- Press and release the button on the wireless accessory for one second. Do not hold it down. Refer to the wireless accessory’s manual for more detailed instructions on how to connect it to a Z-Wave controller such as Piper.
- Wait for Piper to connect and finish by giving your wireless accessory an identifying name.
Once the accessory has been successfully added to your Piper system, it will appear in the Wireless Accessory Drawer, available on the Dashboard. You can customize security rules or automation rules based on the type of wireless accessory. To learn how to set up rules using wireless accessories, refer to the Rules section.
Note: To connect additional wireless accessories to Piper, repeat the steps outlined above.
Removing Wireless Accessories
Removing wireless accessories is done by "exclusion" process, informing the Z-Wave enabled wireless accessory in question to be excluded from your Piper system at home. To remove wireless accessories from Piper, follow these steps:
- Open the App Menu and go to Settings > Wireless Accessories
- Select “Remove.”
- Tap “Start.”
- Wait for the prompt before pressing the button on the accessory you wish to remove.
- Press and release the button on the wireless accessory for one second. Do not hold it down. Refer to the wireless accessory’s manual for more detailed instructions on how to remove it from a Z-Wave controller such as Piper.
- For increased accuracy, we recommend completing the removal process with your mobile device in close proximity to the wireless accessory you wish to remove.
- The wireless accessory should now be removed from the Piper system and will no longer appear in the app.